Saturday, November 16, 2013

Rainy Day Equals Italian Mischief

It is super dreary here today. 

Comfort food is calling. 

You would think that being from the middle of the East Coast that my tendency for comfort food may be southern. Now I do love a good bowl of Shrimp n Grits, Sausage Gravy and Biscuits, and a yummy Chop with Stewed Green Beans, but when it comes to real comfort for me I go Italian.

I don't know where it comes from, but I have always been a fool for rich bread dipped in sweet red sauce and heaping mounds of pasta smothered in sauce and cheese. Who isn't? I mean seriously if you don't like cheese and bread and pasta and sauce..who ARE you? (Don't say Batman, because I am almost positive that the Dark Knight enjoys a Pasta Fagioli from time to time.)

So after making a couple of Sweet Italian Loaves for the week, I decided it was a must that Spaghetti be on the menu this evening. 

Last week, using staples from the Food Pantry, I stumbled upon the BEST and easiest Tomato Sauce recipe, so I decided to recreate it today.



Food Pantry Super Sweet Spaghetti

1 Pound Spaghetti (Any Pasta of your choice will do here. This is a versatile sauce)

1 28 oz Can of Whole San Marzona Tomatoes (If you can't find these you can substitute 2 14 oz Cans of Italian Seasoned Tomatoes, but you should add a TBSP more Brown Sugar)

1 8.5 oz Can of Quartered Artichoke Hearts in Water, drained

1/2 of a 24 oz Jar of your any Spaghetti Sauce (I got Traditional Sauce from the Food Pantry, so that is what I used)

1 Bulb of Garlic, roasted and prepared (Roast halved Bulb, doused with Olive Oil, in Aluminum Foil in oven 30 minutes at 425 degrees. Cool, squeeze out of its jacket and smash with a fork and a tsp Honey, pinch of salt.)

1 Cup whatever Red Wine you have around or can borrow from a neighbor (Bribe them with dinner if you have to.)

1/4 Cup of Brown Sugar

1 TBSP of an Herb Mix (Italian, Herbes de Provence, a combo Oregano, Basil and Thyme...something like that!)

That's it!

Everything goes in a non-stick pot and use a potato masher or whatever utensil you have handy to mix and crush your tomatoes.

Here's the prep work






Ingredients


And it goes a little something like this...











Bring to a boil. Knock back to a simmer. Cover and simmer for at least 2 hours.

You only need to stir this about once an hour or so. The longer you simmer, the sweeter the sauce.

Cook off pasta per package al dente. Drain and return to hot pot and stir in sauce. Easy peasy!

I am currently preparing mine right now, so I will add some finished pics with Pasta, once I serve. (If we don't eat it first!)

Enjoy!

MLL



So here are the updated pics. You can reserve some of the sauce for other dishes if you'd like but remember...







the messier the food, the better it tastes!

Enjoy!

MLL









No comments:

Post a Comment