Saturday, November 16, 2013

Working With The Pantry

The Food Pantry at the Holy Comforter Church is such a blessing. Here I am two weeks after my visit, and I am still working with the staples I received in the two overflowing bags that they gifted to me. 

The way they have their pantry set up is really great. They allow you to go in and select several items from each category: Veggies, Sauces, Grains, Cereal, Bread and Meat. Pretty cool. I did some quick thinking for menu planning, and grabbed some really great stuff! I was even able to create the BEST tomato sauce I have ever made from the bags I received (I'll be recreating it and posting it soon...I forgot to take pics before it was gone. Yep, it was THAT good!)

Out of my choices, I managed to grab a bag of dried Navy Beans, a can of Mixed Greens, and a package of Turkey Kielbasa. Add a crock pot and soup's on! 

Mixed Greens and Navy Bean Sour Soup



1 Bag of Dried Navy Beans (Soaked overnight and drained)

1 Package (6) Kielbasa cubed (I used Turkey, but use whatever you'd like)

1 14 oz Can of Mixed Greens (This would also work with a frozen block of Spinach, thawed and drained, or even fresh greens if you have them. Just chop them up fine and pre-wilt and cool prior to adding)

1 Medium Onion chopped

3 Cloves of Garlic minced or finely chopped (Remember the harder you smash it out of its coat, the less chopping you will have to do!)

2 Tbsp Butter

2 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar

1 Tbsp of Garlic Powder

1 Tbsp of Fresh Nutmeg or 1 tsp ground Nutmeg

1 tsp Smoked Paprika

1/2 tsp Cumin

4-6 Cups of Water or Chicken Stock

Salt and Pepper as you like

**Optional but highly recommended** Finish with 1 Tbsp of Hot Sauce stirred in the pot before serving

Here we go:

Pour drained soaked beans into crock pot. 

Add chopped Onion


Add minced Garlic


Add cubed Kielbasa


Stir it around!


Add Butter


Spices


Salt and Pepper. (I added about 2 tsp Pepper and 1 tsp Kosher Salt)


Grate in Nutmeg


Make sure Greens are strained well and...




Stir it all together.


Add Vinegar and cover with water. Give it one more stir to combine.


Set heat to High for the first 3 hours, and then set back to Low for at least another 2 hours, or until you are ready to serve. The longer the cook, the better the flavor!


Then it should look a little like this...


Once you serve it up with a big hunk of bread, this scrumptiousness will be calling you back for seconds and thirds!


Remember, a little grating of Parmesan never hurts! 

Enjoy!

MLL














No comments:

Post a Comment